Sunday, March 22, 2009

Drake Volleyball

Somehow a fiery red headed volleyball coach inspired me to pick up the sport as a freshman in high school, leaving baseball behind and playing a sport I had never played.

Four years later we had won the North Coast Section championship three years in a row (after a 2nd place finish freshman year), I had been all-league three times, and I was deciding whether or not to play in college. It has continued to be a part of my life since and now after graduating from school I find myself back in the same gym as an assistant coach.

This last weekend we hosted a tournament and the team which has only three returning players made it to the semi-finals. It was a great showing, and an amazing improvement from a month ago when many started playing for the first time in their lives. It's a pleasure to watch and be a part of.

I hope that in a few years these kids will look back at the same successes we had when I was in school, I'll move on, and the cycle will continue...

No comments: